Designer – Loungewear, Sleep & Lifestyle
- Full time
- Sydney, NSW View on Map
Career Level Executive
|This Designer is responsible for the creation of apparel and lifestyle product ranges and initiatives that support our client’s strategic focus and sustainability commitments, underpinned by the brand’s vision and purpose.
Commercially, the Designer will ensure delivery of work in line with key business dates and build ranges that protect and expand upon the core our client’s business with an awareness of the customer and competitor environment. The focus will be on balancing quality, price and customer appeal with fashionability and market-leading innovation where appropriate.
In this role the Designer also works collaboratively with other category designers, to strengthen our client’s position as a leading international lifestyle brand.
Creatively, it is necessary to be across colour, print and pattern trends, as well as understand the current fabric, trim and silhouettes. This knowledge will ensure strong alignment with seasonal themes and direction.
There will be a requirement to brief and collaborate with the client’s in-house Textile Designers at times to create patterns for weave or print applications that is able to be reproduced commercially – with consideration for repeats, colour limitations, layout and costs.
The Designer will build concepts and spec-packs to share with off-shore Sourcing Teams, agents and in-house Quality experts, managing development through to samples. Understanding and negotiating of costs and final cost approvals will be essential.
The Designer will also be required to produce high-quality CADS for production, garment specifications and measurement charts, as well as the bill of materials In the Product Lifestyle Management System. The designer is responsible for apparel fittings, including grading of garments.
In this role, communication of range developments and design direction at key stages to internal stakeholders in the business is key.
|Internal||· GM of Product and Innovation
· Senior Design Manager
· Design Assistant
· Textile Designer
· Product Coordinators
· Fit models
|Key Decision Making in this Role:|
· Design development process, Hit key milestones. Design Alignment, Design Preview, Kit Handover etc
· Brand and category expansions.
· Allocation of design resources
|Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities:|
|Major Area: Design, Range and Category development|
|· Creation of product designs and finished artwork in line with the seasonal direction, option plan, sustainability imperatives and strategy.
· Manage the range planning process from design to sell-in in line with our client’s business calendar gates
· Research the local and global market competitor product and positioning and assess seasonal product performance
· Storyboarding and presenting seasonal design direction and pipeline opportunities in response to macro trends and other key influences
· Creation of initial enquiries, spec-packs and ongoing communication and negotiation on costs/ MOQs
· Develop product mix to support agreed-on RRP architecture and meet Margin thresholds
· Conduct apparel Fittings utilising comprehensive garment construction acknowledge achieving silhouette
· Fabric research, development and product test+learn execution
|· GM of Product and Innovation, Senior Design Manager approval and in alignment Merchandise/Buyer team within the deadline.
|Major Area: Design Workload Management|
|· Liaise with GM of Product and Innovation, Senior Design Manager, Merchandiser/Buyer and Textile Designers regarding briefing, design workflow and allocation of design resources to maximize efficiency.
|· Optimise speed to market
· Utilise in-house and vendor resource
· Ensure optimum productivity of design-work/ effort
|Major Area: Market & Trend Research|
|· Work with GM of Product and Innovation, Senior Design Manager, Sourcing and Marketing to understand the Brand Positioning and consumer profiles.
· Understand competitor marketplace and identify opportunities – conduct and share research efforts with the design team, merch/buying to align on plans
· Contribute to innovative product pipeline planning to underpin category and brand growth
· Research design trends, local and overseas. Engage with future forecast resources and CI insights to understand opportunities from Macro & micro-trend shifts
|· Regular review of data obtained on brand and consumer insights
· store visits and online research to support the development of the commercially viable and appropriate product, targeting existing and future consumer needs.